Re: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/30/05-07:48:42 AM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:05:47 +0000

> I still rather suspect that my lousy results with glutaraldehyde as
> a size were because I used too much (.04%, or 2.7X Chris's), but I
> also used different papers (my glutaraldehyde experiments were on
> Lana and Fabriano Uno papers) so it's impossible to draw any
> inferences from the difference between my results and yours and
> Chris's. It will be interesting to see your results on BFK.

Quantity can be a big factor. Another difference I see is that you
used glut made for fixing tissues for EM specimen. Those glut taht
come in ampules are probably not acidified. MaxiCide is acidified, and
mine is also acidified with greater titratable acid content (buffered
in a broad sense).

Another possible difference I see is that, as I recall, you added 8%
solution without diluting. I'd add more dilute solution with vigorous
stirring.

Another possible difference is gelatin.