RE: shadow density in zone III

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 09/30/05-08:20:12 AM Z

Sandy, It is not so much a need, but rather a choice based on ability to
render the full scale. If ones choice of film, metal salts or other
conditions are limiting their ability to capture a range of 3.0 ( such as
full Stouffer's step tablet), then they are either setting out to fall back
on a contrast aide or have yet to make a break through that shows that it is
possible.

Mark made a great point about density range and later use of a scanner. The
platinum/palladium print is far more suited to capture a full scale negative
than many scanners. If you are making your negatives for other purposes, it
makes sense to keep the range smaller and use your printing skills to expand
it for the print at hand.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9