Re: EDTA TETRASODIUM

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/02/06-06:20:12 PM Z

From: Don Bryant <dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Subject: EDTA TETRASODIUM
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:31:42 -0500

> I have a question about using EDTA Tetrasodium vs. EDTA Disodium to clear
> palladium and kallitype prints.
>
> Specifically, the tetra when in solution creates a base solution. Can I
> acidify the solution with say sodium metabisulfite and expect it to work
> effectively as a clearing solution?

As long as you keep the fixed molarity of EDTA and sulfite/bisulfite,
and also fix the solution pH, you can arrive at the same solution by
mixing (1) disodium EDTA and sodium sulfite, or (2) tetrasodium EDTA
and sodium metabisulfite. In reality, I think you can use the same
molarity of EDTA and adjust the amount of metabisulfite to reach the
target pH.