RE: EDTA TETRASODIUM

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 04/02/06-07:46:45 PM Z

Ryuji,

> I have a question about using EDTA Tetrasodium vs. EDTA Disodium to clear
> palladium and kallitype prints.
>
> Specifically, the tetra when in solution creates a base solution. Can I
> acidify the solution with say sodium metabisulfite and expect it to work
> effectively as a clearing solution?

As long as you keep the fixed molarity of EDTA and sulfite/bisulfite,
and also fix the solution pH, you can arrive at the same solution by
mixing (1) disodium EDTA and sodium sulfite, or (2) tetrasodium EDTA
and sodium metabisulfite. In reality, I think you can use the same
molarity of EDTA and adjust the amount of metabisulfite to reach the
target pH.

Thanks for the info. After posting my question to the list I found a recent
post by Clay Harmon on photo.net that answered my my question:

To use EDTA - tetra sodium in place of di-sodium for clearing the following
recipe may be used:

1 tablespoon sodium sulfite
1/2 teaspoon sodium metabisulfite
1 tablespoon EDTA tetra sodium

Add to water in the order listed above to make 1 liter.

Don Bryant