Re: Gelatine is also '' a '' gum but not Gum.

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 04/05/06-07:53:17 AM Z

I, too, don't see a problem with this, especially since Renger-Patszch (sp?)
called his book The Egg White Gum Print. Actually, my translator is not a
photographer so I think it probably is Albumen Gum Print. She's the one
that always translates "gum" as "rubber". (she kind of groaned when i sent
her 4 more old German texts, maybe I should slip a racy German paperback in
there with them).

But then again, the term "carbon" print is such a misnomer, and gums were
termed carbon prints, pigment prints, direct carbon prints, you name it in
the beginning in search for a suitable name.

I am very interested historically in the poor little gum print...it's always
had its struggles and its vociferous clientele...

But if someone did a casein print and called it a gum print I would think
that was whacked....same with a carbon print, albeit misnomered...to me, gum
print refers to just gum arabic.
chris