Re: question about VDB

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/10/06-04:30:08 AM Z

In a message dated 10/4/06 10:59:46 am, mail@loris.medici.name writes:

> I got that precipitate all the times (using B&W FAC). My observations
> are same as yours; it starts to precipitate at the end and suddenly... I
> leave the precipitate intact during the ripening period (1 - 2 days),
> shaking the bottle occasionally (3-4 times a day) and then filter the
> sludge before first usage (I do this one time; it never makes new
> precipitate). The batches I've made that way were consistent. I had
> similar sludge / precipitate when mixing Argyrotype so I'm inclined to
> think that it's something related to my FAC. Since it doesn't show any
> bad effect, I don't see that as a big problem. Just a quirk that I have
> to deal one time for each batch.
>
> Regards,
> Loris.

Loris

You should be able to make a good VDB by mixing the three separate solutions,
tartaric acid, silver nitrate and FAC, mixing them in the usual manner and
then coating your paper straight away. I have never had any trouble with
precipitates and have not needed to wait for things to mature. I buy my own
supplies from European chemical suppliers such as Sigma Aldrich or Johnson Mathey as
the on costs are less... I believe that there are branches of such companies
in Turkey.

When Randall Webb and I first made a VDB together many years ago, as I had no
tartaric acid we purloined some cream of tartar, which is the raising agent
foir scones, from the kitchen cupboard. The prints were a beautiful cafe au
lait colour. We called them 'teacakeotypes'

Terry