RE: question about VDB

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 04/10/06-11:57:29 AM Z

Charles,

    Thanks. My FAC is from Photographer's Formulary rather than B&S. I'm
relieved to know someone else gets a precipitate since it is NEVER
mentioned.

I always get the precipitate no matter how slowly I dissolve the silver
nitrate. Usually when 5 to 8 ml of silver nitrate remain to be mixed.

I add the entire amount of AgNO3 and then filter after stirring thoroughly
with a magnetic stirrer. After letting the new solution ripen for 2 or 3
days I filter again and use the mix. Eventually, after a period of time, I
will see a gray precipitate at the bottom of dropper bottle, which I ignore.

Contrary to what is often reported, the VDB mixture in my darkroom, has a
limited life span of about a year.

And FWIW, I've used multiple sources for FAC and silver nitrate and have no
preference of one or the other, so I usually order from Art Craft since
their FAC is a little less expensive and shipping costs are less.

Don Bryant