RE: Gum hardening: top down experiment

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 04/11/06-09:06:11 AM Z

> I exposed coated pieces for twice my usual times, one through top,
>the other from the bottom. The piece exposed from the top flaked off
>rather quickly leaving no image. The was no image that I could see
>at any point. The piece exposed thorough the bottom once in the
>water started behaving like a carbon print, where the colloid was
>dissolving in water, rather then flaking off. After about 3 minutes
>I was excited to see a full tonality image, with beautiful tonal
>gradations. Unfortunately the image continued to develop even afet I
>took it out of water and hanged it to dry. This morning there was
>only a faint image left on the piece of transparency. I will give it
>another try with much longer exposure and perhaps lower dichromate
>to get more depth of UV penetration and hardening and higher Dmax.
>Marek, Houston

All of this is pretty much as I would have expected, except for the
part about the image continuing to develop after you took it out of
the water and hung it up to dry. In carbon I would set the gelatin in
very cold water and there would be no further development of the
image after that. What was the mechanism of the loss of density in
your experiment? I don't understand how this could happen.

Sandy