RE: Gum hardening: top down experiment

From: Marek Matusz ^lt;marekmatusz@hotmail.com>
Date: 04/11/06-08:41:00 AM Z

Katharine,
I was very impressed with your results and thanks for contributing to this
discussion in a positive and constructive way. Looking at your scans I would
conclude that heavily pigmented gum layers on unabsorbant substrate do
harden from the top down, just like other dichromated colloids. I see very
nice tonal gradations in the print exposed from the bottom. The three
variables (gum, dichromate and pigment ratios) are not optimised, but at
this point I am looking for illustration of principles, rather then perfect
prints.
I did a similar experiment last night. I coated a heavily pigmented and
thick layer of gum on a transparency material that I use to print
diginegatives (HP brand). This brand has a nice sandy feel to it, so I
though it would help to hold the gum. I exposed coated pieces for twice my
usual times, one through top, the other from the bottom. The piece exposed
from the top flaked off rather quickly leaving no image. The was no image
that I could see at any point. The piece exposed thorough the bottom once in
the water started behaving like a carbon print, where the colloid was
dissolving in water, rather then flaking off. After about 3 minutes I was
excited to see a full tonality image, with beautiful tonal gradations.
Unfortunately the image continued to develop even afet I took it out of
water and hanged it to dry. This morning there was only a faint image left
on the piece of transparency. I will give it another try with much longer
exposure and perhaps lower dichromate to get more depth of UV penetration
and hardening and higher Dmax.
Marek, Houston