Re: Coating Blades

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/11/06-07:46:30 PM Z

From: Michael Koch-Schulte <mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Coating Blades
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:37:02 -0500

> Why has it taken so long for this device to appear?

Don't know. He told me about the coating blades more than a year ago
(when he was frequently attacking another person in another photo site)
and the principle is simple enough, so it's probably a real deal.

> Wouldn't other R&D departments in other film companies have had
> similiar tools?

Yes.
Wired rods are also very common for quick testing.

Small coaters of various kinds are also very common for more larger
scale coating. Pilot plants use a bigger coater, of course.

> What's the principle behind it?

Similar to wired rods, the spacing made by the blade and the support
maintains a gap, which will be related to the wet coating
thickness. Of course, the exact thickness is also influenced by the
viscosity and speed of sweeping the blade.

One problem is that, larger ones will require greater precision and
mechanical strength. Another problem in coating paper is that, you'll
have to ensure flatness of the paper during coating. Wired rods have
wires everywhere to maintain the constant gap, but blades are
supported by edges only.