hard hard hard at San Francisco Art Institute

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 04/12/06-07:05:05 AM Z

Hope the subject line didn't put this email in the spam porn category...

News release!
For those of you who want to learn how gum hardens in the first
place--whether tops down or bottoms up, I will be teaching a month long
intensive class in gum and other alternative processes, using the PDN
digital negative system, mid July through mid August. I cut and pasted the
class description below, or go to SFAI's website and download their summer
class catalog at:

http://www.sfai.edu/data/pubs/Summer%20Course%20Cat%202006.pdf

If you live in the area, it'd be great to do a coffee of alt listers during
that time so keep that in the back of your brain. I know Mark Andrews and I
are gonna meet up for some swapping of expertise. I will also be looking
for a place to live with my husband in the area of SFAI at that time, so
anyone who knows of anything please email me offlist (we don't want to live
with anyone, he's grouchy in the morning :)).

Sometimes I just get amazed at how small the world of alt is and how
connected we can be!
Fun!!!
Chris

Digital Negatives
INSTRUCTOR Christina Anderson
DAYS M-F
TIME 9:00am-1:30pm
LOCATION Studios: 16A/C
COURSE CODE PH 111-1
3 Units
This class has an extensive digital
component and requires familiarity
with Photoshop. Emphasis will be
placed upon the historic 3-color
gum bichromate print using state-of-
the-art methods of digital separation
negatives. Students will learn the
techniques for creating custom
digital negatives for any alternative or
printmaking processes. Other historic
processes that will be addressed
during the course of the class:
1. The Salt Print: photography's
original positive/negative process
2. The Cyanotype: also one of the
earliest photo print processes
3. The Van Dyke Brownprint
If time and student progress allows,
Argyrotype and Platinum/Palladium
printing methods will be included.
There is a $150 materials fee for this
class.
. Satisfies Photography Technical
Distribution Requirement and
Photography Elective.
. Satisfies Elective Studio for non-
photography majors

. There is a $300 fee for this course.
CHRISTINA ANDERSON received her
first degree in French from the University of
Minnesota, and her second and third degrees
from Montana State University in painting
and photography. Her MFA in photography
was completed in 2005 at Clemson
University, South Carolina where she studied
under her mentor, Sam Wang. Anderson's
specialties are experimental photography
and alternative processes. She has published
three books: The Experimental Photography
Workbook, Tutti Nudi, Reflections on the
Reemergence of the Nude during the Italian
Renaissance, and Alternative Processes,
Condensed: A Manual of Gum Dichromate
and Other Contact Printing Processes.
She is now at work on a book about gum
printing. Currently she teaches experimental,
alternative process, nonfiction, and advanced
black and white photography at Montana
State University.