Re: Sharpness, contone (was Re: Useful results from gum tests

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 04/12/06-02:33:20 PM Z

Well Katharine, this particular Peter Marshall is actually saying that
nearly all of those still working in alt processes are now actually
printing gum using dots produced from ink jets which is a half tone, and
that this does actually work better than continuous tone. He might also
go on to say that continuous tone only works for gum as well as it does
because film has grain and is not true continuous tone.

And of course, he still says that your test simply shows - as we all
know - that laser printers with 600 dpi can't produce a decent halftone,
either theoretically or practically. But it makes no sense to expect a
better image out than you put in, which appears to be what you were
expecting in your test. Your test is, I'm afraid, entirely worthless in
this context. (Though as I said, it's quite a good way to get students
started, as it is almost impossible to mess up prints made in this way.)

A decent halftone needs a 16x16 grid to give 256 shades, giving 600/16 =
37.5 lpi for your laser - nowhere near enough for good results. You can
fudge this a bit with fancier algorithms, but not a great deal. Printing
at 1440 dpi it is possible to get decent results.

I'm not actually sure you can produce a true continuous tone through
photographic means, but I suppose using wet plate would approach this.
However I don't know of anyone making gum prints from wet plate.

Of course I simplify, and the irregularity of the paper surface will
also have a part to play. Hardening from the top down will mean
hardening down to the paper surface on the peaks but not on the troughs
of the image even with a more or less continuous tone image. But I think
there is no room for doubt that the process is easier with a suitable
halftone, although that may not necessarily mean better prints.

Regards

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk +44 (0)1784 456474
31 Budebury Rd, STAINES, Middx, TW18 2AZ, UK
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......