Re: Glycerin questions

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/13/06-10:27:14 PM Z

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:23:31 -0400, "Don Bryant"
<dstevenbryant@mindspring.com> said:

> 1) Is there an easy way to determine the presence of silver nitrate in a
> solution of glycerin?

Take a small portion of te solution and mix it with a bit of salt
solution (table salt is good, KBr is good, KI is good) or Edwal Hypo
Check or something in it. If you see an immediate formation of white (or
yellow white in caes of KI) precipitate (should look cloudy as soon as
you give a drop of salt), it contains silver nitrate.

> 2) How long is glycerin usable? I have a large bottle, sealed, and
> probably
> sold in the 1950s or 1960s. The glycerin is clear and not discolored.

If it's well sealed, it's probably good, but then how does silver
nitrate get in to it?