Re: gum transfer

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 04/14/06-09:48:57 AM Z

I did the same thing (answered Peter's post and found it went only to
Peter) Here's mine, again:

On Apr 14, 2006, at 5:10 AM, Peter Marshall wrote:

> Katherine,
>
> I think you are right about Marek's print and its significance.

<snip>

> Would it now be worth thinking about whether (and if so, how) the
> back-exposed image on film could be transferred onto paper?

It's always worth thinking about anything. My position on gum
transfer remains exactly the same as it was the other day: show me,
and I'll believe it. As I said then, my own experience is that once
hardened gum is firmly enough attached to the substrate to make it
through the developing process, it is very difficult to remove from
that substrate once dried. And if you try to remove it when wet, it
turns into moosh. So I can't quite picture a transferrable gum layer,
but I'm certainly willing to be persuaded by the evidence of its
having been done. I might even try it myself today, but I've really
kinda gotta do my taxes today.

  I did once, when I wanted a very ghostly image of a face, transfer
an image by simply turning a wet gum print face down onto another
piece of paper and rolling the back with a rolling pin, and that
worked fairly well for my purpose, but it was a very faint image; it
wasn't like transferring the whole gum layer.
Katharine