re: could someone summarize, now gum vs. carbon

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 04/15/06-09:43:26 AM Z

Peter,
Thanks for the really nice and lengthy reply, below. I'm so glad to see you
posting again. I don't know you, but assume you are from GB, and therefore
are "in the know", seeing as all this stuff started in your country. I'm
rootin' for your countryman Pouncy all the way :)

I have not seen these prints in person, and that is on my "wish list" to be
able to go to England and Germany and France and see gums in person and
actually be able to photograph them (can I stay with you :)? KIDDING). I
have seen Kuehns in person and a Demachy or two, and of course the aesthetic
of that time was not what appeals to me today...and certainly, I agree, is
not like a carbon. I have only seen Sandy's carbons, and some huge ones at
that, and they are beautiful and look like a traditional print, in fact,
which gum usually does not.

I have also been told by Andre Fuhrmann that a "life changing" event was
seeing the Trifolium's huge gums in person. I am dying to see those prints
in Germany.

You bring up an excellent point, below, about the ability to commercialize
carbon and the harder ability to commercialize gum until Artigue and Fresson
and another paper I cannot remember, but if I am not mistaken, correct me
you all especially Art Chakalis, both those papers had gelatin in the
formula.

What I am writing about is the discussion that came BEFORE Pictorialism--at
the time when they were seeking sharp images and those that described
reality as it was and those that were PERMANENT as the prevailing discussion
was the problem with prints fading. But, again, you are absolutely correct,
the proof being in the pudding, I would have to see these in person to
really judge their merit.

To clarify my particular quest, and this is in response to Marek's nicely
summarized email:

1. Does gum harden top down or bottom up?
2. Can gum provide wonderful halftones and dmax in one coat from top
exposure?
3. Can gum rival a carbon in halftones and dmax in one coat?

Bringing up history into this was just my support of the fact that gum did
provide halftones and dmax back in the beginning but it was hotly debated
that it did not, even tho records of those initial meetings show that it
did. There were many AFTERWARDS who tried to print gum and failed and they
were made laughing stocks of, the "soot and chalk" printers.

So, for the record, my hypotheses are these:

1. I don't care about gum hardening top down or bottom up--I think we
should send a freshly made print to Dusan Stulik at the Getty and have him
electron scan it and tell us the answer. Until then we can only guess.

2. I believe that with a correctly derived digital curve that you can get a
fully half toned and tonal and dmaxed gum in one coat and that the inability
to do so in the past was due to using inappropriately developed negatives.
Gum is short scale. (I find this also true of solarplate, almost to the
point of being "on and off" or more like white and open bite). These kinds
of things show up in spades when plotting curves, which I have only been
able to do in the last year--plot my own custom curves--with the PDN system.
I do not think you have to expose a print from the back to get full tones,
and, in fact, I will say it even more strongly: the inability to get full
tone in a gum is due to practice and not gum's shortcomings. This is why we
live in exciting times--we can fit one neg to myriad processes with a press
of a button to apply a curve to the negative to fit its tonal range within
each process's parameters (whew, run on sentence).

3. I am predicting that there is no way the gum will rival Sandy's carbon,
and I think the reason this may all be true is that gelatin might be
providing a more tenuous and stable and sticky layer than the gum does for a
pigment load you need to keep attached to the paper. In other words, I bet
the depth of the coating is huge compared to gum, and if you did an equally
thick gum coat as a carbon coat is, you may experience flaking.

Yesterday I derived the curve through my standard printing time, my
colorized tonal palette, and my 101 step tonal palette, and measuring those
steps to plot my curve, and I will say that the carbon pigment curve is yet
again different than yellow, magenta, or thalo. It is an odd beast. I
printed one little bitty print because I have now run out of sized paper and
have to size a batch today. I certainly got complete black dmax and full
tone (14ml tube of carbon black M. Graham in total volume of 60 ml gum mixed
in this proportion: 1 of this stock pigment, 1 gum, 1 water, and 1
saturated am di) with an hour development. But I don't think it looks
anything like a carbon. I certainly proved to myself that I can do a one
coat fully tonal gum tho.

I am predicting that when i see Sandy's print I will realize that for the
prevailing needs of that day, back in 1865, carbon was "it" for very good
reason. But I think that the best way for all of us to see if this is or
isn't true is a side by side print of the same subject printed by a carbon
expert and then someone who has made gum her process of intense choice--both
scanned with the same scanner, side by side, not white point/black pointed,
yada yada yada.

Today, since I ran out of sized paper, I will also be (finally) testing
Terry King's statement that super duper gelatin unhardened works just as
well as hardened. My hypothesis is that this is not true. But what the
heck--either I'll be extremely enlightened or be cursing Terry for making me
waste paper.

I will be testing it side by side with glutaraldehyde hardened gelatin on
Fabriano Artistico EW Soft Press. I have run out of hard press :( And, I
promise, as soon as I get Sandy's print I will scan his and mine and send
the scan to someone who hopefully will post. My website is STILL under
construction and probably will be until the semester ends.

But heck, I have successfully avoided a day of grading 100 papers and maybe
another day, too! Do you think the students will understand if I don't hand
back their work in time?
Chris

I will also