RE: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 04/17/06-04:26:43 PM Z

Sandy,

I am not sure about the reasons you mentioned. Of course, if a gum printer
wants to experiment a little bit, it is ok. But what I am thinking is if one
truly wants to transfer effect, s/he can learn the carbon transfer instead
of trying to make gum transfer work even though that itself is not wrong
either. I am talking about the need for long-time user, not occasional use.
In my opinion,

1. Coating a gum layer for transfer is basically preparing a gum tissue like
one prepares a gelatin tissue. One needs to get familiar with it one way or
another.

2. I don't the control will be more in gum than in carbon. If anything, it
might be the other way around because gum is soluble in cold water. Some
people do make "gum printing" with gelatin (and I hope no one is going to go
into the debate again on whether that can be called gum printing), but the
advantage mentioned is they can use different temperature to slightly
control the development (because gelatin is dissolved in warm water, so you
can control the warmness a little). You don't have such control in gum.

Dave S