RE: Off-Topic, New Orleans Images

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/30/06-02:02:05 AM Z

About Joachim's mention of how out of proportion some of the restrictions
on photography are-- I think I can explain.

These big strong men feel so damn helpless, They've got to do SOMETHING,
to SHOW they're doing something, so they pass a law.

It's not just about terrorists, & I'm not sure it's just male, tho it may
seem male because many of the functionaries are still male. But to give an
example from my own nearly 50 years operating a small dwelling in NYC....
every time something bad happens in the city, men in suits go into a room,
and come up with something *I* have to do, that has NOTHING to do with
reality, or the facts, or the problem, but they can say they did stuff &
if I don't comply, I get fined $1000 a day. I'm not making this up.

About 5 years ago there were two fires in skyscrapers, & something went
wrong, people didn't know how to get out, there were several stairways &
sprinklers not functioning, etc. and a couple of deaths.

Now a little house like ours with 3 flights of stairs & no elevator is not
a skyscraper. OK?

So they pass a law that I have to post instructions on the inside of each
door and in the entry hall telling people how to get out in case of fire..
Since there are only 3 flights of stairs up and only the one (sprinklered)
stairway, I would think if someone didn't know how to get out the stair
they came in on they belong in a sheltered environment.... But a fire
inspector last month said I didn't ALSO have that message in the hall (as
if anyone would read it) and threatened me with death of a thousand cuts
if I didn't print it, frame it under glass and hang it immediately.

I don't go on with the rest of the stuff (about having to have my
sprinklers inspected every MONTH after 30 years with yearly inspection &
never a moment's trouble).... but it's constant... I mean in a way it's
some cold comfort to know this isn't just NYC & for us small owners, but a
universal human trait... It's don't just sit there, put on a suit and pass
a law -- about photography, about bird watching, about elevators, about
ANYTHING. Pass a law!

As for American politics being "inappropriate" for discussion here... I
think -- was it Bogdan pointed out how hated the US is worldwide today...
I can't think it's bad for us to show colleagues from other countries that
many of us are mortified, furious, despairing, heartsick, outraged, and
extremely extremely sorry. We do not know how we can heal this country,
let alone the world...

I made a couple of stronger comments, then deleted them... But I'll end
on a lighter note, I don't know why, this joke keeps coming to mind.

It seems Moses came down from the Mount with the 10 commandments & told
the waiting multitudes that he had good news and bad news.

The good news: "I got them down to 10."

The bad news: "Adultery's still on the list."

Well, it's 3:55 AM here, I may be asleep.

Judy