Re: Off-Topic, New Orleans Images

From: Bogdan Karasek ^lt;bkarasek@videotron.ca>
Date: 04/30/06-12:13:13 AM Z

Hello,

I hope you don't mind if I interject; I am not an American but a
neighbour who lives in that country to the north of your border at the
49th parallel and below the North Pole and who has a morbid fascination
  with American Politics. I won't bore you with Canadian politics and
social mores.

Joachim brings up the point of the over increasing prohibition on
photographing certain sites. On several photo lists, I have heard
similar stories over and over again. I find this very scary. Every
summer I usually spend a week in the Anza Borrego State Park in S. Cal.
  After the winter we have and the humidity, I need that heat and arid
air. Anyway, i always drive up to visit the Mt Palomar Observatory on
the other side of Wagner and I love to drive up the mountain, I think
you go through 4 micro climates as you change elevation. I'm thinging,
that I shouldn't be taking pictures up there any more. A security
threat. Mt Palomar. But I can't help thinking that.

I'm just curious why you put up with this? Where's the 4th amendment,
free speech. Like where does it end? Orwell, 1984. What I find
insidious is that its creeps along, a little bit more every day. The
Patriot Act?

Just to give you a different spin on things that you bring up, there are
a lot of people up here who think that the USA is slowly turning into a
fascist state. Please, I am only the messanger and I'm just telling you
how some of us see it. So please, no flammes. Whether you agree or not
is irrelevant; That's how you are perceived. It is a reality of life,
others see you differently from the way you see yourselves. And we're
worried. Where will it end? Soon you will need a passport to get back
into your own country if you are coming back from Canada or Mexico.
The noose tightens very slowly. What next, compulsory ID's.

The dire poverty that I saw in LA, people living in stacked containers.
  For a moment I though I was in India. Somebody told me they were
illegals, so, they are still human beings. And the poor people in New
Orleans. Up here, people don't understand that people are still living
in hotels and their allowances are being cut. The deveastation that
still exists. Looks like a war zone from the reportage we get up here.
40 million Americans don't have health coverage???? Of seven highly
advanced countries in the area of health care, like Holland, Belgium,
Germany, France, the Scandinavian countries, Canada, Britain and the US,
the US has the highest infant mortality rate. These are statistics
shown to me by a colleague who teaches pediatric nursing. Like what
gives? Everybody up here is unanimous that Bush and his cohorts lied
about the war in Iraq. Here, it's a given, the facts are all there,
oil. People ask why he isn't impeached for lying. And let's not get
into Cheney and his merry band of pranskers at Halburton (sp?). That
shooting incident, It was the joke of the year up here. The victim
apologizing????? And you put up with that. We don't understand.

Like I said, you may or may not agree with what I am passing on, so I
don't want to get into a discussion but that's the perception up here.

Hope I didn't offend anybody; that was not my intent. just a public
service broadcast :)

My 2 loonies worth :)

Regards,
Bogdan