Re: Dag Questions

From: Phillip Murphy <pmurf_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:39:01 -0500

Hello Brad,

List member Rob McElroy made thickness tests on plates from various
sources a
while back; the results may be of some help in answering your question.

Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/lxt83

Final thickness of the silver, of course, will depend on your polishing
methods.
A simple cyanide bath works best. Use a formula that does not include
brighteners.

I have heard of success with non-cyanide plating baths, however, I haven't
seen a formula printed that would give good results with Daguerreotype.

If you are confident that you can handle mercury and bromine safely, I
suggest working with both Becquerel and mercury development and decide
which method suits your temperament.

good luck,

Phillip