Re: Dag Questions

From: Jonathan Danforth <jonathan_at_danforthsource.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:28:11 -0400

Brad,

It's good that you have a background in chemistry. Maybe you can invent
some new methods for us!

I buy plates that are purported to have .5mil coatings of silver. In
reality, I'm fairly confident that each plate ranges from .3-.5
depending on where on the plate you look. I'm so uninterested in
complicating my life by plating my own copper that I buy them pre-made.
Dags are complicated enough!

The thickness of the silver is probably most important to the number of
times that you can repolish the plate when you screw up the exposure. I
do this constantly. :( With my plates, I can usually get 2-3 do-overs
before I buff through to the copper beneath. I have a few pieces of
3-nines silver that I intend to polish and use as plates to see the
effects. I'll let you know or otherwise publish in the Daguerreian
society newsletter what I find.

There is a decided advantage to using mercury if you can do so safely!

1. Becquerel dags have a dynamic range of about 2-3 stops whereas
mercury dags have a range of more like 7-9 stops.

2. The exposure time for a bromoiodide-sensitized plate (mercury
method) is far shorter than an iodine-only sensitized plate (Becquerel
method). My Becquerel exposures are in the neighborhood of 4-5 minutes
for zone V at EV 13! With bromoiodide and mercury, you could probably
get the same exposure in 30-40 seconds.

3. Once exposed, a Becquerel plate requires a 2-3 hour development
through a red filter by UV (sun) light. A mercury plate would need to
be exposed to heated mercury vapor for a matter of seconds to minutes
(talk to Mike Robinson or Jerry Spagnoli about this).

Welcome to the club! I highly advise taking a workshop or a one-day
seminar if you can. The Daguerreian society in Rochester offers one-day
workshops periodically. I'm curious to know how you intend to handle
the mercury. What is your setup or recommendation? I have not made
mercury dags yet but I'm anxious to start as soon as I can get a handle
on the safety precautions required.

-Jonathan
http://photographs.danforthsource.com

--