Re: Since the list is so quiet....

From: Tom Sobota <tsobota_at_teleline.es>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:16:34 +0200

Judy,

If you are using z-term (ughh!) to connect, you are using a modem. And
a modem goes directly to the line, probably with some kind of split
jack. So your beloved antique wall phone has nothing to be ashamed of.
Actually you say that you can get a dial tone through it, no? So the
problem must be elsewhere, probably with your modem taht, knowing
your mores, will be certainly also pretty antique (300 baud, I surmise?)

Anyway did you try to call through the wall phone to the same number
that you connect to the Net? Did you get a tone? If you do, and it is a
good strong signal (you should hear the modem on the other side trying
to establish connection with yours) then the problem is probably with
your modem or perhaps the software (z-term) has lost someway its
configuration.

I second Jack Fulton: get DSL :-)

Cheers
Tom Sobota