RE: palladium bleeding, loooonnnnnggg results

From: Camden Hardy <camden_at_hardyphotography.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:31:53 -0600 (MDT)

Eric,

> Since you are both in the same town, it should be easy enough to check two
> important aspects. Where does your ferric come from as well as what batch
> #
> of Platine is being used.

Well, I got both the ferric and paper from Chris. I'm assuming that the
paper she's using now is different from the paper she sold me back in May,
but the "old ferric" may very well be from the same batch the I bought
from her. If that's the case, we could possibly rule out the ferric
(although it did seem to make a difference)

> The heating may be a big part of it as well. I
> have not found the use of a dry mount press required to flatten Platine
> but
> I can see where it would smooth out a rough surface paper.

If I'm in a hurry, I tend to skip that step. The only reason I do it in
the first place is because I have a rather crappy contact frame and am too
cheap to buy a nice one. So it seems that the heat doesn't play a huge
role, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

> Although, it sounds like you may have more going on that differs
> from Chris in the application of the solution as well as volume there of
> if
> you are getting buckling of the paper.

All paper buckles to some degree when wet. I'd like to clarify that I
expose my paper almost immediately after coating (here it takes about a
minute to become dry to the touch), so the paper still buckles a bit,
especially in my frame (it cost me roughly $10 to build...and I was in a
hurry). A nicer frame most likely wouldn't need the pressing step.

> Do you both keep your houses at the same RH and store the paper the same?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the humidity between her house
and mine are roughly the same. I don't have any means of testing this,
however.

Camden Hardy

camden@hardyphotography.net
http://www.hardyphotography.net