Re: palladium bleeding, loooonnnnnggg results

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 06:38:54 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Camden Hardy" <camden@hardyphotography.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:31 PM
Subject: RE: palladium bleeding, loooonnnnnggg results

> Eric,
>
>> Since you are both in the same town, it should be easy
>> enough to check two
>> important aspects. Where does your ferric come from as
>> well as what batch
>> #
>> of Platine is being used.
>
> Well, I got both the ferric and paper from Chris. I'm
> assuming that the
> paper she's using now is different from the paper she sold
> me back in May,
> but the "old ferric" may very well be from the same batch
> the I bought
> from her. If that's the case, we could possibly rule out
> the ferric
> (although it did seem to make a difference)
>

>> The heating may be a big part of it as well. I
>> have not found the use of a dry mount press required to
>> flatten Platine
>> but
>> I can see where it would smooth out a rough surface
>> paper.
>
> If I'm in a hurry, I tend to skip that step. The only
> reason I do it in
> the first place is because I have a rather crappy contact
> frame and am too
> cheap to buy a nice one. So it seems that the heat
> doesn't play a huge
> role, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
>

>> Although, it sounds like you may have more going on that
>> differs
>> from Chris in the application of the solution as well as
>> volume there of
>> if
>> you are getting buckling of the paper.
>
> All paper buckles to some degree when wet. I'd like to
> clarify that I
> expose my paper almost immediately after coating (here it
> takes about a
> minute to become dry to the touch), so the paper still
> buckles a bit,
> especially in my frame (it cost me roughly $10 to
> build...and I was in a
> hurry). A nicer frame most likely wouldn't need the
> pressing step.
>

>> Do you both keep your houses at the same RH and store the
>> paper the same?
>
> I don't know for sure, but I would guess the humidity
> between her house
> and mine are roughly the same. I don't have any means of
> testing this,
> however.
>

> Camden Hardy
>
> camden@hardyphotography.net
> http://www.hardyphotography.net

   A good tool is a sling psychrometer. This is just a wet
and dry bulb thermometer in a frame that can be spun around.
They come with a chart or slide rule that gives the RH when
the two temperatures are inserted. The dial type humidity
meters sold as a part of "weather" stations are usually
adjustable and must be checked against a more accurate
instrument like the above.
   I got a simple psychrometer locally some time ago for
about $30. I think there are electronic ones now that are
not expensive.
   RH locally varies all over the place, from perhaps 5% to
practically saturated.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA