Re: Sorry to ask again but...

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:35:43 -0400 (EDT)

Is there a limit to dumb questions -- or do we get an unlimited supply?
I have absolutely NO intention of ever burying a neg in oil ever again for
any purpose whatsoever, but I do use my scanner in various ways & Sandy's
reply makes me wonder...

If you add a piece of glass on top of the scan bed, doesn't that spoil
focus? I realize you can raise it a fraction of an inch to fit negs into a
multiple holder, but that's not as thick as a piece of glass... I also
have an idea my scanner wouldn't scan anyway with the added thickness of
the frame Sandy suggests, because the cover has to connect with something
or other (UMax, large flatbed-- will sometimes take an open magazine but
VERY goosey about books). So what, if any is the depth of field probably?

I have, BTW, just finished a project requiring *many* scans, but found
that anything larger than say 4 by 6 inches had to be scanned at 600, 800
or even 1000 dpi, or it simply wouldn't. (I'd get a message saying scanner
doesn't connect with the driver or words to that effect.) It's goosey in
other ways, too... possibly the softwear needs a kick in the head, but
once I figured out raising the dpi it nearly always works -- and I get
some guilt-free reading while I wait... (The scans can come in at 100 or
more megabytes but I reduce them right away, so not a problem.)

thanks in advance for enlightenment re depth of field, et al...

PS. Sandy, Clemson was in the Times today -- something about a motor
vehicle, BMW as I recall... But I take it that's not your department...?

Judy