Re: Lead Toning Cyanotypes - share your experience please

From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:04:18 -0400

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> You should be able to dissolve 4-5% at room temperature, but 5% is
> about the solubility limit. I can think of two sparingly soluble or
> only very slightly soluble lead compounds: lead carbonate and lead
> halides. I'd use distilled water, boil and cool before use, if absence
> of those cloudy matter is essential. If insoluble matters still form,
> it's most likely due to impurities in the chemical stock (especially
> if it's technical grade lead acetate).

Just for curiosity's sake, my Merck Index gives the solubility of lead
(II) acetate as 0.63 g/ml. Lead forms a number of insoluble salts, as
Ryuji mentioned, but I think the major candidate for cloudiness would
be lead (II) chloride (solubility 0.01 g/ml) which would easily form
when the acetate is dissolved in tap water, which contains a
considerable amount of chloride ion. Silver nitrate behaves similarly
(forms a precipitate when dissolved in tap water) due to the
insolubility of AgCl. Using boiled distilled water would probably be a
good idea.

Good luck!

Jordan

--