Re: Coating prints with polyurethane wood finish

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/02/06-12:04:01 AM Z

What do you mean by "Dmax increased by 1 stop" in the ziatype test
print? Did you mean that 1 stop less exposure to reach Dmax, or you
found 0.3 unit higher Dmax?

Anyway, I see two potential problems in using polyurethane. One is the
durability of polyurethane itself. Another is how effective it is in
providing a barrier against gaseous oxidizing agents.

I am no expert in this area but I think only some water based
polyurethane is recommended for archival artwork on paper.

The second issue can be tested by peroxide fuming test. I don't
really see a better way to test for this. I've been using this to test
efficacy of my toning solutions for silver gelatin prints.

Regarding pollutants coming from the back of the paper, I bet some
papers are better than others. I'd expect paper with generous amount
of hydrophobic internal sizing material would provide better barrier.

Ryuji