Re: Coating and/or conservating

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 02/05/06-07:14:39 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "fb" <aikus2@freestart.hu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 3:23 PM
Subject: Coating and/or conservating

As I promised earlier two oldtimer coating examples
are visible now.

A 80-100 years old gelatine-silver plate surface. All
with silver mirroring except a part what was covered
with mattolein for retouch on the face of soldier. (The
little shining spots in the covered part is a pencil
retouch.

   Snipping here...

   At one time Kodak recommended coating prints with their
print laquer for protection. This recommendation was
ammended later because it makes it difficult or impossible
to treat prints which have had problems. I think Kodak also
made a film laquer.
   At least in theory, the laquer should help protect the
image from oxidation. The samples you give tend to support
this. I think the issue is more complicated so I am not sure
coating should be done routinely.
  ---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA