Coating and/or conservating

From: fb ^lt;aikus2@freestart.hu>
Date: 02/05/06-05:23:16 PM Z

As I promised earlier two oldtimer coating examples
are visible now.

A 80-100 years old gelatine-silver plate surface. All
with silver mirroring except a part what was covered
with mattolein for retouch on the face of soldier. (The
little shining spots in the covered part is a pencil
retouch.

http://img.tar.hu/aikus/size2/19438724.jpg

The same plate transparently:

http://img.tar.hu/aikus/size2/19438703.jpg

About a same old plate, covered with unidentified
clear, glossy lacquer layer, but a few little places
where the lacquer is missing shining because the
strong silver mirroring while the covered part is clear.

http://img.tar.hu/aikus/size2/19438685.jpg

(Or all at:
http://kep.tar.hu/aikus/50219764/19438724#2 )

Anyway to use a new plastic covering material has
unidentified risk(s). Even if it tested. A few tests about
a few known deterioration factor or/and a simulated
aging is not the same like eg. a hundred years of
storage. So my suggestion: search in several
collections for oldtimer covering technics which was
not blamed while a long time...

Bálint

Bálint Flesch

http://archfoto.atspace.com/english

Some quote from my mentioned message because
january messages recently out of the web: