RE: First gallery ' experience'

From: Christopher Lovenguth ^lt;chris@chrisportfolio.com>
Date: 02/08/06-02:37:07 PM Z

I wasn't going to chime in here, but I've decided to only because I've gone through all this too, but at the same time, I understand the gallery's reaction.

It's sucks that you had such a rude experience (it reminds me about applying for an assistantship right out of school for a guy who shot Walmart-like Sunday inserts of jewelry and when I showed him my school portfolio, which was art, he said that he couldn't use me for his $7 and hour job of mostly sweeping his studio, and that if I could afford it, to keep going with my "HOBBY"). Ten years later, I have an appointment tomorrow to finalize a show for the fall, I'm still broke (much more), still have yet to sell a piece, but of course I think I'm amazing, just not yet discovered, and that my work really belongs in the Whitney. But isn't this how EVERY artist thinks?

But...

Just because I'm doing and living my life as an "artist" doesn't guarantee me anything, even if my work is worthy, let alone to show in a gallery. You have to remember that each gallery isn't the "voice" of the gallery scene, so to group all galleries in to one lump, as most reactionaries do, isn't right either (although it's a great venting experience when you have been personally rejected). There were probably many possible reasons this person said what he said to you, so instead of gathering sympathetic voices to feel better and to easily dismiss what he said, think about why he said what he did. This isn't some conspiracy of gallery owners "controlling" art, that belief is usually coming from someone who is constantly rejected and feels like their sh*t don't stink so they have the opinion of "screw the gallery owners they don't know art anyways because they don't make it, la la la". Reality: some gallery directors show "tough love", to make you prove to them that you believe in your work and what you are doing. Some are telling like it is, and that might be something you don't want to hear, but, maybe you have to listen. Some are just jerks, but ALL have to answer to their group of buyers, art trends, what the public wants, or they go out of business. This is a business after all. Do you know that is cost 1000's of dollars to put on a proper one-month gallery show in New York City? And that's just for a basic show with very little publicity and an opening with food and wine. In fact, most galleries are making emerging artist payment as least half of the costs now (that's what I'm running in to, it will probably cost me at least $1000 to put on this show in the fall) and still taking 40%-50%, and these are not those so called "vanity" galleries that are doing this. It's the reality of the times because they know most likely you are not going to sell anything at your first group of showings. It's the reality.

I think many of us still hold to this dream that you make great work, some gallery discovers you, signs you, shows you and you have this amazing opening where the director of MOMA comes and wants to put some of your pieces in their permanent collection, and you're off and running. I have this daydream all the time. But it doesn't work that way. It's a HUGE game, and if you're going to play it, you have to play by the rules and you have to understand what the movers and shakers are reacting to, and that you are an ant to them, until, you have something they want or they think they want.

Now all this doesn't mean anything when it comes to art. Art is something totally different and as an artist, you have to decide to play the gallery game or not. It's mutually exclusive and this is what most artist don't understand.

-Chris