Re: Coating and/or conservating

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 02/08/06-04:54:57 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Maxey" <written_by@msn.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: Coating and/or conservating

> I loved the Ektacolor PL. I stopped using it because I
> became lazy. Here is a tip: if you are making prints form
> scratched (and Kodak processed) slides, you can eliminate
> some of the scratches by removing the lacquer that Kodak
> applied to slides. Kodak once mentioned the problem and
> gave a procedure for doing this in one of their
> dataguides.

   I have this material somewhere and will try to find it.
Kodak used two kings of laquer on Kodachrome slides and on
color prints. One can be removed using a mild soluton of
Sodium carbonate, its the solvent for the other I can't
remember. Nor which should be tried first if one does not
know for certain which laquer was used. The coating on
prints turns yellow with age. If you have old Kodachrome or
Kodacolor prints that have yellowed its probably only the
laquer coating.
   I don't know for certain but I don't think Kodak used
this laquer for any film other than Kodachrome.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com