Re: Coating and/or conservating

From: Bob Maxey ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 02/08/06-02:56:22 PM Z

>>>Kodak's research however may not be relevant to the issues of coatings
applied to alternative processes, particularly coatings like waterborne
polyurethanes, which would likely be impossible to remove. Apart from the
questionable long term stability of any particular coating, you can also get
changes such as delamination at the coating/print interface. Protection from
oxidation is certainly a quality that can be attributed to many lacquers
applied to gelatin silver prints, though if such protection is the primary
goal, toning may be a more effective long-term strategy.>>>

As I see it, Kodak was/is working with a known quantity. The problem in my opinion is with thousands of Alt printers compounding their own materials and in some case, where the working procedures are different, there is no way to get a reliable test because the materials change. We can make some assumptions based on the generally used materials and methods the majority of users seem to use, but the data would might be quite questionable.

I loved the Ektacolor PL. I stopped using it because I became lazy. Here is a tip: if you are making prints form scratched (and Kodak processed) slides, you can eliminate some of the scratches by removing the lacquer that Kodak applied to slides. Kodak once mentioned the problem and gave a procedure for doing this in one of their dataguides.

I also agree about toning. Kodak Gold Protective Solution is cheap insurance if you think it is important. I still wonder just how important it is owning to the large quantities of images we stored in damp basements and on the 2nd/3rd floor of our store. Going back to the very early days and degradation was seldom a problem.

Bob
..
 Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom