Re: deep dark shadows monochromatic gum

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/10/06-10:31:38 PM Z

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Hi Judy,
> Viridian is PG18, thalo PG7. I don't doubt that thalo might be a stronger
> color, but viridian is also plenty strong. When I used to paint, and used
> viridian, I was always told to cut it with white because it was a very
> garish/raw color. I have always found it to be very intense in a swimming
> pool green grandma-ish kind of 1950's way (I can spot it always in a
> painting, it seems), but mixed with your transparent deep reds like alizarin
> it makes an alive black. But, as I said, I haven't used green since starting
> tricolor because I only use red/yellow/blue...

Chris, I could go upstairs & check the brand,, assuming I could find the
tube, tho that isn't necessarily definitive because it's quite old -- I
don't use it a lot for many reasons... But it occurs to me that this
"viridian" could simply have had less pigment in the tube than yours. (As
a Rowney named something like "Permanent Rose" had about 1/4 the strength
of the same Quinacridone pigment in another brand.)

J.