Re: deep dark shadows monochromatic gum

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 02/10/06-12:10:19 AM Z

> Chris, Admittedly I date myself with this observation -- but in my old
> watercolors (still in use from time to time) "viridian" lacked the
> covering power of the thalos, and I soon switched to "thalo green."
> So naturally I wonder if what's now called viridian isn't actually a
> thalo?
> cheers,
> Judy

Hi Judy,
Viridian is PG18, thalo PG7. I don't doubt that thalo might be a stronger
color, but viridian is also plenty strong. When I used to paint, and used
viridian, I was always told to cut it with white because it was a very
garish/raw color. I have always found it to be very intense in a swimming
pool green grandma-ish kind of 1950's way (I can spot it always in a
painting, it seems), but mixed with your transparent deep reds like alizarin
it makes an alive black. But, as I said, I haven't used green since
starting tricolor because I only use red/yellow/blue...
chris