Re: flat tonal scale / gum bichromate

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 02/12/06-10:54:36 AM Z

Possibly over exposure and/or underdevelopment. You might try less exposure
time or longer in the water. With pigment dripping off as the print dries,
it suggests not enough time developing. I develop gum prints in room
temperature water for 30 minutes. Poor sizing is another possiblility.

It is possible to clear highlights by gently pouring water over the paper or
very gently brushing the highlights with a soft watercolor brush while the
print is underwater. Be very gentle with these approaches, the emulsion is
quite fragile.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming