Re: Getting back into Cyanotype (classic formula)

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 02/12/06-02:31:18 PM Z

Christina,

When I first started reading about cyanotypes I noted "some" older formulas
used a ratio in the neighbourhood of 20% Ferric Ammonium Citrate (Part "A")
to 14% Potassium Ferricyanide (Part "B"). When I read some of the
contemporary A:B formulas were tapping the Pot. Ferr down to 8% I thought
this was, in effect, already going close to the 2:1 ratio people were
talking about being commonly used today. Maybe I misread. Maybe the purity
of older chemicals was different? I prepare my working solutions as 20% and
8%. And I do double coat. BTW, Ferric Ammonium Citrate seems to be very
soluble. I had no problem making a stock 40% solution. I'm guessing the
solubility is a little bit higher (50'ish perhaps?) So by doubling up your
20% you're essentially getting a 40% by of the Ferric Ammonium Citrate by
weight but you're increasing the overall volume of water in the emulsion as
well which is not the same as using a 40% soln.. Other than needing a bigger
bottle for Part "A" I don't know if having a "wetter" solution helps,
hinders or really matters. Bovine speculation perhaps ;^)

~m