Re: First gallery ' experience'

From: A.E. Graves ^lt;aeg@aegraves.com>
Date: 02/12/06-07:51:25 PM Z

[Apologies if you receive this twice; I also tried posting from my old
address.]

Kate, I think Dave Rose's advise is excellent, especially on the idea
that that you may have approached a gallery that was a bad fit for the
type of work you do.

A talented friend of mine has gotten some excellent guidance from his
mentors recently, and you might also benefit from it. I'll try to
summarize it concisely:

- Get a serious portfolio review from someone knowledgeable you respect
(who will be _honest_). They can help you identify your strongest work,
and edit it so that your portfolio is cohesive enough to merit being
shown as a unified body of work (which can plant the idea of a complete
show in the minds of those who see it).

- Win some juried competitions. Once a competition jury or two (or
twenty) has given a seal of approval to your work, galleries will take
you more seriously. Also, competitions often have a gallery show as a
reward, and once you've had one show, it's easier to get other shows.

-- Follow Dave's (and others') great advice about looking for local
opportunities to hang your work. Those count as shows, and can result
in sales.

- Work up an artist's statement and resume. This should explain why you
do what you do, and list all the competitions you've won and shows
you've had (including the local shows you've organized yourself). You
can find lots of artist statements on the web, so you can review those
to see what is expected.

- Seriously research a gallery before you visit. Gallery people can be
impressed if you've 'done your homework' and know what they're really
about, OR terribly resentful if you're unprepared and wasting their
time. If you're doing landscapes, find a landscape gallery; if you're
doing portraits, find a gallery that has done portrait shows, etc. My
friend put a lot of effort into approaching a gallery that doesn't
represent new artists (they had a limited book of certain, retired
artists), which means his effort was wasted.

- Remember that galleries are about making money and so want safe
"products" whose value has already been proven elsewhere. They don't
exist to make you succeed - they are there to sell your work when you're
already successful! So adjust your expectations accordingly.

My friend is far ahead of me in his (gelatin silver) portfolio
development, and is heeding the great advice he's gotten, so I expect
him to gradually accumulate small successes that add up to something
good. I've taken some of this advice and started entering contests: as
a result, three of my conventional, color images will be in a glossy
book that will be available in my local (San Francisco) museums and
bookshops this spring, which will look GREAT on my "artist resume."

I think many of us can benefit from the advice my friend received,
regardless of which processes we're using.

As an aside, I'm a relative alt process novice with a peer group that
has no interest in "alt." However, they tell me enthusiastically when
they like one of my images - they don't like them for being alt, because
they could care less how I make them, but rather they like THE IMAGE. I
do think it's possible to emphasize an image, rather than it's
"alt"-ness, and win some fans (for alt and for yourself). I'm trying to
work in that direction.

Elizabeth
aeg@aegraves.com
http://www.aegraves.com