First gallery ' experience'

From: Kate Mocak ^lt;kate_mocak@zoznam.sk>
Date: 02/07/06-02:53:52 PM Z

Finally I picked up all my courage and showed my alternative prints (gums
and gums over cyanotype) to the owner of the gallery specialized to
photography ("Central European House of Photography" in Bratislava). The
response I got was approximately as follows: he didn't see any added value
in doing 19th century processes in the 21st century. They are obsolete. He
didn't see any 'author's statement' in photographing industrial architecture
because this topic was fully exhausted in the 70s and 80s. On top of that,
what on earth is the reason to combine old processes with industrial
architecture. Etc, etc...

I can accept the fact that my photography lacks the 'author's statement'.
(Even though until now nobody has been able to explain to me what exactly it
is.) But saying that alternative processes and pictorialistic photographs
have nothing to tell to the today's audience is a bit 'too strong coffee' as
we say here.

I'm frustrated and have to sleep on it. Just wanted to share this experience
with you. Hopefully there are other parts of the world where we are not
regarded as retarded.

Kate

Si si istá, že si nedostala spolu s mailom aj vírus?
http://www.avgonline.sk/