Re: Glassine Envelopes

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/13/06-12:28:42 PM Z

From: Bob Maxey <written_by@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Glassine Envelopes
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:24:49 -0700

> Yet I could always pull example after example from our files of
> negatives stored in glassine and nary a problem. I have read that
> Kraft envelopes are not safe, yet I could easily prove differently.

It depends on the RH, temp and other factors of storage. It is not
appropriate to conclude just because your case was ok.

> I did purchase some "archival" negative sleeves from suppliers well
> known in the archival business and they have all failed.

How?

I'd consider plastic (polypropylene) sleeves and negative files to be
less than ideal for roll films and early sheet films that are made
with cellulose triacetate base. Storage of acetate films is probably
one area where lignin-free alkaline buffered paper is superior.

With the APS films, we saw an advancement in the film base from TAC to
PEN (polyethylene naphthalate) but PEN did not become popular for 35mm
and roll films. I don't see much on this matter in literature, but
large manufacturers like Fuji is using some other techniques to slow
down the decomposition of TAC base.