temperaprint & foaming

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 02/13/06-12:15:39 PM Z

Hi:

I continue to fiddle with tempera printing - still not happy with coating.

I've tried using a brush, roller, and paint pads - but still get a very
inconsistent coating.

Get the most consistent coating using a roller, but application with a
roller creates lots of tiny bubbles.

Read that the addition of salt reduces foaming and bubbling. Added a
pinch of salt to the last tempera mix. It appeared not to foam as much.

I wanted to see what a brush coating would do - no bubbling, and was able
to put on a very thick coating. So thick that it would not bind to the
yupo, or the addition of salt prevented proper hardening.

Didn't have time to do a roller coating though.

Read more about antifoaming agents. Looks like Dimethylpolysiloxane is a
commonly used food grade antifoaming agent. Its seems to be a suspension
of very fine silicone particles that alter the surface tension so that
foam bubbles can not form.

Does anyone have experience with any antifoaming agents?

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2