Re: Glassine Envelopes

From: Bob Maxey ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 02/13/06-02:59:01 PM Z

>>>Making a blanket statement like this is very inappropriate for this
topic. Materials vary widely and there are many causes for image
degradation. Proper handling of the materials have to be considered
for each particular type of materials. Ad hoc experience does not tell
much unless you analyze each case to dissociate the factors involved
in the image deterioration.>>>

I do not think I made a blanket statement. I started out with this: "Here is my opinion based upon years of working with all sorts of photographic materials and their storage."

The collection goes back to the 1800s, by the way. Tens of thousands of images.

>>>Color materials require different handling based on the dye technology
of the time (the stability of the color dyes improved very much in
1980s). B&W materials have rather different requirements for
processing and storage conditions.>>>

I agree. Again, our collection was vast and contained many materials. We did not separate the Kodachrome 8 x 10s from the Ektachrome and Ektacolor images and the rest of the plates or nitrate images or the Kodachrome prints made on acetate. I printed from this collection day in and day out so I think I know the overall condition of the entire collection.

>>>Cellulose acetate film bases also vary depending on the technology
with which they were made. This type of film base improved very much
in its early years. Early acetate films were not even triacetate and
they are inferior to today's completely triacetated cellulose
material.>>>

Of course material bases changed. Nothing new there.

>>>Without identifying which material stored at what condition, your
experience tells little information. For example, when you mentioned
the smell when opening a box of film in plastic negative files, you
did not identify whether the smell was due to the decomposition of the
film base (which occurs when stored in airtight condition--cellulose
acetate films need to be stored in clean but circulating air) or the
plastic. The old plastic of unidentified material might have become
brittle, but it's also likely that the vinegar smell came from the
film base instead of, or in addition to the plastic.>>>

The smell came from the sleeves. Sold as archival by a well known seller. I know this for an absolute fact. We were discussing storage materials so I limited my comments to the dubious qualities of some items sold as archival. Not the film or the processing. The problems were for the most part, limited to one specific manufacturer / seller's sleeves, bought during a specific time period.

I did not say (or did I) the smell was vinegar. I simply said the box smelled. Opening it up revealed why. Bad sleeves, not film base problems.

Bob
..
 Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom