Re: Choosing the best gum to pigment ratio.

From: Hamish Stewart ^lt;hamish@gumphoto.co.uk>
Date: 02/13/06-07:09:31 PM Z

Paul,

Some thoughts. If you are printing two-three coats in gum it is usually best
to start with the most opaque pigment. That way the other more transparent
layers can add depth and tone without overwhelming the balance of the image.

Pigment to gum ratios will vary depending on lots of different factors. I
use watercolour paints from two manufacturers and you do have to make
adjustments, i.e. the same paint/pigment from different manufacturers is
likely to require different gum/pigment ratios.

If it helps at all my pigment/gum rations vary between 1.5-4 grams pigment
to 12ml gum. That said I am sure others will work with different
ratios/strengths - it depends on what kind of result you are seeking. For
some images where I want more intense colour I will increase pigment load,
when I want to soften the intensity I will reduce it.

BTW Katharine has a great section on her website that demonstrates the
differences between opaque and transparent pigments.

Regards

Hamish Stewart

Gum Bichromate Photographer http://www.gumphoto.co.uk

hamish@gumphoto.co.uk