Contemporary Tintypes

From: Ritab19106@aol.com
Date: 02/16/06-05:41:11 PM Z

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:34:24 EST
From: Ritab19106@aol.com
Subject: Contemporary Tintypes
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Full-name: Ritab19106

--Boundary_(ID_wMWgS5JdunC6icJ2ylYzBw)

Hello All,

Is anyone out there making contemporary tintypes? If so, I'd love a little
help as I am struggling a bit. I am using one of the kits from Rockland, which
includes AgPlus emulsion. My biggest problem (I think) is getting a thin
even coat: I start out fine with a puddle in the middle of the plate, but then I
always end up with thickish "ribbons" of emulsion near the edges, which "set"
before I can coax them into a smooth coating. When I try to nudge the
emulsion with my fingertip (or fingernail, as the directions suggest), I end up with
finger marks. Perhaps the emulsion needs to be hotter; Rockland recommends
130 degrees but I always fogged Silverprint Liquid Emulsion at that
temperature so I was wary of ruining a whole (expensive) bottle of AgPlus.

The emulsion also seems to take forever to dry completely. When I have used
a hair dryer to speed the process, I ended up with bumpy looking emulsion
(probably dust and other debris).

Any other tips also deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Rita Bernstein

--Boundary_(ID_wMWgS5JdunC6icJ2ylYzBw)

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR="#004080" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">Hello All,<BR>
<BR>
Is anyone out there making contemporary tintypes?&nbsp; If so, I'd love a little help as I am struggling a bit.&nbsp; I am using one of the kits from Rockland, which includes AgPlus emulsion.&nbsp; My biggest problem (I think) is getting a thin even coat:&nbsp; I start out fine with a puddle in the middle of the plate, but then I always end up with thickish "ribbons" of emulsion near the edges, which "set" before I can coax them into a smooth coating.&nbsp; When I try to nudge the emulsion with my fingertip (or fingernail, as the directions suggest), I end up with finger marks.&nbsp; Perhaps the emulsion needs to be hotter;&nbsp; Rockland recommends 130 degrees but I always fogged Silverprint Liquid Emulsion at that temperature so I was wary of ruining a whole (expensive) bottle of AgPlus.<BR>
<BR>
The emulsion also seems to take forever to dry completely.&nbsp; When I have used a hair dryer to speed the process, I ended up with bumpy looking emulsion (probably dust and other debris).<BR>
<BR>
Any other tips also deeply appreciated.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
<BR>
Rita Bernstein</FONT></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_wMWgS5JdunC6icJ2ylYzBw)--