RE: off topic warning about purchasing cameras online

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 02/18/06-03:41:38 PM Z

Chris,

I think there are a few things you can do:

Complain to the credit-card company: the paper work is not as bad as you
think. As long as you dispute the item, they will immediately refund your
money. For them it is easy because they just take the money out from the
merchant. The default is for your side and against the merchant.

Also, the laws might have changed (though I don't think it has), but anytime
you buy something by mail order, you can always return it within 30 days,
with our without reason, regardless of the condition of the item. You can
buy a sweater by mail order, receive it and find there is nothing wrong with
the sweater but you just don't like it. You can return it just for that
reason. In fact, the law was created for that reason because there is always
a possibility of misrepresentation of the item (like you can't tell what a
sweater really looks like from a photograph). Many people don't realize that
law. I came to know a little about it because a few years ago I was involved
in some business that has some mail-orders involved.

But the restocking fee is hard to find. If it is misrepresentation, then you
shouldn't owe it, but they might disagree. But if the credit card company
has refund your money, it is up to them to take the next step.

Dave S