Re: Potassium Dichromate Stain (was: Re: Chemistry and risk)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/21/06-01:32:12 PM Z

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Joe Smigiel wrote:

> I just tried some saturated potassium dichromate solution on a piece of
> lacewood and this morning put it under a NuArc UV plateburner for about
> 15 minutes. It darkened considerably, so much so that I don't like the
> look of the wood any longer.

I only mentioned this as a source of dichromate (albeit an expensive one),
not by any stretch suggesting it for wood staining today. I can only
suppose Garret Wade stocked it because of a wish to seem old timey....

Of course many packaged stains are marketed today; I also found no problem
in adjusting colors to suit with oil paints (in solvent based stains -- &
I suppose water-based paints would work in waterbased stains?).

Judy