Potassium Dichromate Stain (was: Re: Chemistry and risk)

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 02/21/06-10:07:05 AM Z

>>> written_by@msn.com 02/20/06 2:29 PM >>>
>>...The key is using a stain. In my case, aniline dyes sold to
luthiers. Curly maple, for example, is a perfect candidate for this kind
of effect. When you properly stain the wood and then apply five or six
coats of lacquer, your grain will pop and you will see a visual depth
you really cannot obtain in other ways.

I suggest that you forget the dichromate stain. There are far better
substitutes out there and those are safe to use. In my opinion, using a
dichromate to color wood is foolish.

Bob<<

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info.

I just tried some saturated potassium dichromate solution on a piece of
lacewood and this morning put it under a NuArc UV plateburner for about
15 minutes. It darkened considerably, so much so that I don't like the
look of the wood any longer.

Can you perhaps suggest a particular aniline dye and lacquer combination
for lacewood? I don't think I'll have to worry about parts sliding
together on this simple portrait camera, but it also might be helpful to
know what sort of finish might be appropriate for a full-fledged view
camera where parts are sliding against one another to enable movements
such as swing and shift.

Any help appreciated as I'm very much a novice at this.

Thanks,

Joe

p.s. Bet some of you thought this post was going to be about gum
printing. R R R.