Re:Stouffer wedge (was VDB is "Brownprint" process?)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/23/06-01:42:21 PM Z

> At 05:16 AM 2/23/06 -0800, Susan Huber wrote:
>
>> BTW; does one need a 21 step wedge for alternative processes and how does
>> one use it?
>> I went into the store yesterday and found out the Kodak step wedge costs
>> $144. US and the Stouffer wedge costs $5.80 US- a big difference in price,
>> any difference in quality?

Kodak has (or had) a less expensive step tablet, about $18 in the US. The
$144 tablet, whatever it costs in the US, is probaably *calibrated.* That
is, minor variations in actual density, either from batch to batch or even
from strip to strip, occur in the making. My understanding is that
"calibrated" step tablets have actual density of each step read &
recorded.

AFAIK this matters in rocket science (possibly).

J.