Re:Stouffer wedge (was VDB is "Brownprint" process?)

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 02/23/06-02:45:50 PM Z

Susan,

One of the early issues of Post Factory Photography had an excellent
article, by Judy herself as best I recall, on the use of a step wedge
in alternative printing. You should try to get a copy of the article
as it really is great as a practical application of sensitometry.
Someone mentioned this article not long ago but you may have missed
it.

You can actually buy calibrated T2115 step wedges from Stouffer for
about $20 or so, but unless you are doing a lot of film testing and
need a lot of precision the calibrated steps are a waste of your
money. The steps do vary a bit, even from the same batch. I recently
bought four more of the T2115 step wedges and they are all slightly
different at Step 21, ranging from a low of 3.06 to a high of 3.09.

Calibration just means that someone with a calibrated densitometer
has read each of the 21 or 31 steps and you get that information.

Sandy