RE: Epson 2200 and MIS inks

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 02/24/06-04:39:33 PM Z

Marek,

A couple of months ago I bought some MIS ebony black ink to test in my Epson

2200. Since I did not have any good store bough paper I decided to try it on

Fabriano Artistico that I use for gum printing. Tthe paper was siezed with
gelatine as per my usual practice. I used black ink only setting on the
printer, which means only one black cartridge containg MIS ink is used for
printing. The results are amazing. Deepst rich blacks are delivered from
this cartridge, together with the finest gradation of highlights. The ink is

nice rich black, on the warm side. The prints looks sharp and crisp (some
people refer to it as a TRI X look). Absolutely stunning. The ink takes much

longer to dry and I am not sure if it is waterproof on my home made paper. I

am very excited to see if I can add some gum layers over it.
I stil have not gotten to test my photo black MIS ink replacement for
negative printing

Very interesting report Marek. Gum over inkjet? That's sounds quite
interesting too.

Please let us know when you test any MIS color inks on Pictorico.

I received an e-mail from a friend this past week that informed of the
cheapest CIS dye ink solution for the Epson 1280 that I've seen to date. He
reports that the inkjet negatives seem to perform just as well as the Epson
inks. About $60 for 600ml of ink, CIS kit and carts. You can see details at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bulk-Continuous-Ink-System-For-Epson-1280-1290-Printer_W
0QQitemZ6852224619QQcategoryZ51310QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

On another inkjet related note; I saw today first hand, inkjet prints made
on Crane paper company's new inkjet paper, Museo Silver Rag. There has been
a lot of hubbub lately about this paper on the Digital Black and White
printing list at Yahoo. And it has been reported repeatedly there that the
prints are supposed rival the appearance of air dried fiber based silver
gelatin paper. And they do! In spades!

The paper I saw today is the beta release from Crane and hasn't been
officially released but even if no changes or improvements are made this
paper will set a new standard. To get optimum results with MSG the new Epson
K3 inks need to be used. However I also inspected prints made on
Hahnemuhle's new Museum Etching 350 matt paper printed with Piezotone K7
inks and those prints were also truly stunning. The prints I viewed for both
of these papers were not "ringer" prints distributed by the manufacturers
but prints made by at a local inkjet atelier using image files of their
clients.

Finally Epson filled suit today against several third part ink resellers,
one of which I believe is MIS.

So the world of inkjet technology is churning.

Don Bryant