Re: Sizing paper with gum and dichromate

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/01/06-03:21:08 PM Z

I'll add my 2cents here and agree with Christina and Kerik that
there's no reason not to add the hardener to the gelatin rather than
having a separate hardening bath. I do this with glyoxal, but
contrary to Chris's comment, I don't rinse, because for me with
Arches bright white, though the glyoxal does tend to turn the paper
ivory over time, it reverts to the original bright white in the
developing bath when gum printing, even months after being sized. So
for me, there's no particular reason to do a separate rinse. Your
mileage may vary, of course.

I do always have some glyoxal'ed gelatin left over, since I mix up
200 ml at a time (this makes 3.5% gelatin with a package of Knox;
it's too complicated IMO to bother dividing a package in half) which
makes more than I need to size as many papers as will fit on the
clothesline that runs the length of my kitchen. I just pour what's
left into a yogurt container or some such; it hardens into a nice
solid block that goes into the garbage, and I guess I don't think
it's a big deal.
Katharine