Re: Glyoxal?

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 01/13/06-06:58:07 PM Z

Yves,
Sorry, I must have missed this post.

There are a few ways to harden--formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, alum, glyoxal.
I suggest doing an archive search for those 4 items. You will find lots of
discussions and formulas for these in the last several years, and some good
formulas. Some use alum quite regularly, formalin is used a lot, the
newcomer on the block is glut with not enough data to give you a yay or nay.
Just that I use it always, and I am teaching it this semester to my
students, too, and I know of at least four others that are having great
success with it as a hardener. that is 6ml of 2.5% added to 1 liter of 3%
gelatin.

I think all of the hardeners have toxicity and cautions...use extreme
chemical practice with these because since they harden colloids they harden
eyeballs. When I teach sizing this semester I will add the glut to the mix
myself and not let unwary students fool around with it, to be safe. You
know, though, with how people treat superglue like it's no big deal....makes
you wonder.

Those that don't get yellowing with glyoxal seem to usually harden, and then
rinse after hardening right away or something of that nature. Or use the
paper quickly.

Personally, if I wasn't using glut I would go to formalin before glyoxal.
It's worked for centuries--well, 1 1/2 centuries.

chris